December 2017 Archives

My son wants to live with my ex, can I stop this?

If you currently have custody in Michigan, your child’s preference does not automatically mean you must comply with that preference. You need not turn your son’s residence over to the other parent based on his wants. Rather, the other parent would file a petition with the court, asking for a change in custody based on your son’s stated preference.

What else can I do to protect myself in our high-asset divorce?

Yes, there is much more. In addition to the considerations in Part 1, it may be that the more organized and documentary you can be as early on as possible, the less stressful the process will be and the better off you will land once the divorce is complete.

Can no-contest clauses be enforced?

Estate planning experts in Battle Creek will tell you that seeing to your estate planning early on will help reduce the chances of there being disputes amongst your beneficiaries once you are gone. The last thing that you want to see happen is for your family to become torn apart over arguments about your will. Thus, you may think that the best way to avoid this is to attach a no-contest clause to it, with the hope that such language will discourage any of your loved one's from challenging its provisions. The question them becomes are such clauses enforceable? 

What does a typical parenting time schedule include?

You may be dreading the meeting when you and your spouse sit down and work on your parenting time schedule. In Michigan, there are guidelines for creating this schedule, and this may help to eliminate some of the disputes you and the other parent have over how to divide your time with your child.

The consequences of an OWI/DUI conviction

At Vandervoort, Christ & Fisher, P.C., in Michigan, we know that the drunk driving laws are very tough in this state. If you have been charged with operating while intoxicated, an OWI conviction could result in a number of adverse consequences, such as a jail sentence, probation, your driver’s license being suspended, and fines and/or court costs.

Get The Help You Need Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Our Firm
Toll Free: 877-753-1211 | Phone: 269-841-5934 | Fax: 269-965-0646

The Battle Creek Tower
70 Michigan Avenue West
Suite 450
Battle Creek, MI 49017

Toll Free: 877-753-1211
Phone: 269-841-5934
Fax: 269-965-0646
Map & Directions

Coldwater Executive Suites
28 West Chicago Street
Suite 2B
Coldwater, MI 49036

Toll Free: 877-753-1211
Phone: 269-841-5934
Fax: 269-965-0646
Map & Directions