Battle Creek Michigan Law Blog

Military divorce and your child

Michigan military parents will have extra considerations to keep in mind when getting a divorce. The military aspect itself can be complex, but adding your kids in can complicate things even further, especially when it comes to potential benefit division. states that some military benefits are retained until a child becomes 21, though not all of them are. The parent will need to turn in their military dependent ID, but the children will keep theirs. This will allow them to stay on Tricare. The other remaining benefits depend on how much the military parent is providing for the children. If they are providing over 50 percent, the child can use base exchange stores, and Morale, Welfare and Recreation benefits. Support of below 50 percent will nullify those benefits.

Protection of military parent and child’s custody rights

Troubling questions can arise regarding child custody in a military family where the parents are not together. If a custodial parent responds to a call to active duty, he or she may not be able to provide for the custodial needs of the child.

The other parent may file a motion to change custody officially after the military parent has left. Such motions have caused longer term disadvantage to the military parent that was not necessary.

Myth-busting: What you need to know about wills

Thinking about your Michigan estate planning needs now is an indication that you have assets and/or loved ones, and you care about what happens to them after you die. We at Vandervoort, Christ & Fisher, P.C., have often provided counsel for people who are planning their wills.

Here are some common myths about wills that you should know before you start.

Are more women being charged with drunk driving?

With Labor Day weekend coming soon, it is expected that law enforcement agencies will step up surveillance in order to catch drivers under the influence of alcohol or prescription drugs. Like the other summer holidays (Memorial Day and Independence Day) the greater number of drivers presents a greater danger for tragic accidents caused by drunk drivers.

While many believe that police will single out male drivers for DWI stops, an increasing number of women are being charged with drunk driving. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) reports that the number of women who received a DUI increased 36 percent, while the number of men charged decreased by 10 percent in the same period.

How is best interests standard determined in child custody?

When parents go their separate ways, issues regarding child custody and support need to be dealt with before they can move forward. A phrase that they will hear often is the "best interests of the child" standard. What exactly does this mean? What factors do judges look at in order to fulfill this requirement?

One of the first requirements is to provide the children with consistency. Many children need the security of a routine, and keeping this going could factor into who receives custody. Even so, the courts understand that some changes are inevitable in a divorce or separation. How those changes will affect the children is also considered.

Get The Help You Need Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Our Firm
Toll Free: 877-753-1211 | Phone: 269-841-5934 | Fax: 269-965-0646

The Battle Creek Tower
70 Michigan Avenue West
Suite 450
Battle Creek, MI 49017

Toll Free: 877-753-1211
Phone: 269-841-5934
Fax: 269-965-0646
Map & Directions

Coldwater Executive Suites
28 West Chicago Street
Suite 2B
Coldwater, MI 49036

Toll Free: 877-753-1211
Phone: 269-841-5934
Fax: 269-965-0646
Map & Directions