Does Your Child Custody Order Need To Be Modified?

Sometimes after a divorce, the circumstances of the parties change to such a degree that a modification of an existing order is necessary. If you need to modify an existing order from a family law proceeding in Battle Creek or the surrounding areas, the experienced attorneys at Vandervoort, Christ & Fisher, P.C., can help.

Our attorneys have experience in modification proceedings, including:

  • Child support modifications
  • Child custody modifications
  • Visitation modifications
  • Spousal support (alimony) modifications
  • Home relocations disputes

To speak with a Battle Creek divorce modification attorney at our firm, call 269-841-5934.

Child Support Modifications

Are you paying too much support? Do you need increased support? Let us review the facts of your case to determine if a child support modification is warranted. We can perform a child support calculation pursuant to the Michigan child support guidelines to see if a modification is warranted.

To obtain a child support modification, a moving party must demonstrate a change of circumstances since the time of the previous support order. A job layoff, wage increase or other financial change of circumstances could warrant a child support modification in your case.

Child Custody And Visitation Modifications

A full change of custody is difficult to obtain, but if your child's emotional or physical well-being is endangered by an existing custodial award, you may have a basis to obtain a change of custody. We have experience in cases where child abuse, neglect, chemical dependency and other factors may warrant a change of custody.

Obtaining a modification of visitation is less drastic, but you must be able to demonstrate that the proposed change is in the best interest of the child. Let us review your case to provide necessary advice and support. If retained to handle your case, our family law attorneys will put more than 80 years of combined legal experience to work for you.

Spousal Support (Alimony) Modifications

If you have lost your job due to no fault of your own, or if your financial circumstances have changed significantly since the time of your divorce order, a spousal support modification may be warranted. We have successfully defended the rights of clients in alimony modification proceedings.

Home Relocation Disputes

Under Michigan law, a custodial parent who is seeking to move more than 100 miles away from a noncustodial parent (with the minor children) must seek the consent of the noncustodial parent, or he or she must obtain court approval. Moving out of state or to a distant area within Michigan without proper authorization could impair your parental rights to custody and visitation.

Our attorneys represent custodial parents who are moving and noncustodial parents who wish to oppose a home relocation. As experienced negotiators and trial lawyers, we will vigorously defend your rights.

Contact Us

To speak with a family law attorney at our firm about the modification of an existing custody, visitation or support order, contact our law offices in Battle Creek or Coldwater, Michigan. For assistance, call 269-841-5934 or contact us by email.